Yairo Station (八色駅, Yairo-eki) is a railway station located in the city of Minamiuonuma, Niigata, Japan. This station is operated by the East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and serves as a crucial stop along the Jōetsu Line. Yairo Station, situated in a picturesque area, offers essential transportation services for both local commuters and travelers passing through Niigata Prefecture.
Lines[edit | edit source]
Yairo Station is an integral part of the Jōetsu Line, a major railway route in Japan. It is positioned 127.0 kilometers from the southern terminus of the line at Takasaki, making it a key transit point for passengers traveling between Takasaki and destinations in Niigata Prefecture.
Station Layout[edit | edit source]
The station features a simple and functional design. It comprises two ground-level, unnumbered side platforms, each serving two tracks. These platforms are conveniently connected by a level crossing, providing passengers with easy access between the two sides of the station. While Yairo Station lacks a formal station building, it offers weather shelters on each platform to shield commuters from the elements. Notably, the station is unstaffed.
Platforms[edit | edit source]
The platforms at Yairo Station are as follows:
- East Platform: Serving trains bound for Nagaoka on the Jōetsu Line.
- West Platform: Serving trains heading towards Ishiuchi, Echigo-Yuzawa, and Minakami on the Jōetsu Line.
History[edit | edit source]
Yairo Station commenced operations on 1 January 1965, becoming an essential transportation hub for the Minamiuonuma area. On 1 April 1987, as part of the privatization of Japanese National Railways (JNR), Yairo Station came under the management of JR East, ensuring its continued role in facilitating regional and long-distance travel.
Surrounding Area[edit | edit source]
Yairo Station is located in close proximity to various points of interest and infrastructure:
- Minami-Koide Industrial Park: This industrial park plays a vital role in the local economy, fostering business growth and employment opportunities.
- National Route 17: A major roadway that intersects with the railway, offering seamless connectivity for commuters and travelers
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Official Website (in Japanese)
Location[edit | edit source]
- Address: Goka, Minamiuonuma-shi, Niigata-ken 949-7301, Japan
- Coordinates: 37.1917°N 138.9351°E
- Operated by: JR East
- Line(s): Jōetsu Line
- Distance: 127.0 km from Takasaki
- Platforms: 2 side platforms
- Tracks: 2
- Status: Unstaffed
Services[edit | edit source]
- Urasa - Towards Takasaki
- Koide - Towards Nagaoka
Yairo Station stands as a symbol of efficient transportation infrastructure in Minamiuonuma, offering passengers a gateway to explore the natural beauty and cultural richness of Niigata Prefecture while supporting the region's economic activities.